Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tofu and Veggie Stir-fry over Quinoa

I realized I was getting in sort of a rut of eating.  Not a bad rut, just got in the routine of cooking similar meals.  So I decided to do what I do in business when things get stagnant, I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something completely new!  And sure am glad I did!  My mom gave me a bag of Quinoa a little while ago and said you should try this, and experiment with it, so I looked up a recipe for it, and then as always, altered it a little bit.  I also used Tofu instead of meat for the first time in my cooking, it was really really good!  Anyhow, here is the recipe!

Dressing:
4 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
4 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
4 Teaspoons Dark Sesame Oil
Pinch of Crushed Red Pepper

Stir-fry:
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 1/2 Cups uncooked Quinoa
1 Tablespoon Dark Sesame Oil
1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced in thin strips
1 Handful small white mushrooms, sliced thin
1 steamer bag of Asparagus
1 steamer bag of Baby Sugar Snap Peas
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Package (12.3 oz) Extra Firm Tofu, drained and cut into 1/4"x1/4" strips
2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds

Cooking:
Place the Dressing ingredients in a small bowl and combine with a whisk. Then place to the side.

In a sauce pan, bring the water to a boil, stir in the Quinoa, reduce heat and cover, simmer for 10 mins.  Then remove from heat, keep covered for another 10 mins.  Fluff with a fork.

In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil and cook the onions and garlic till soft, careful not to burn, use med heat or lower if needed. (approx 5 mins)  Add the veggies, tofu, and the dressing.  Cover and keep over medium heat (approx 5 mins)  cook to heat veggies, you still want them crispy and filled with nutrients, mushy veggies are useless.

Serving:
Put a layer of the Quinoa on a plate or pasta bowl, and place stir-fry on top.  (the dressing recipe is doubled from what it was originally, so you should have some extra sauce to pour over each plate)  This will give you 4 servings.

I think I will add some peanut sauce to the stir-fry next time also, seems like it would be great.  And I love peanuts, so ... that part is up to you.

Enjoy!


Hey! Thanks for taking a look at my site! I hope you have found some helpful tips and information here. I am more than happy to answer any of your questions, and help you out any way I can. I offer FREE online fitness and nutrition coaching as a way to help others out and to 'pay it forward'. Click on Free Coaching to set me up as your online fitness and nutrition coach, and then send me a quick email so we can start getting you on track to meet your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment